Monday, October 3, 2011

So i had a job interview....

Just checking in! Skyping with Jennica...have been listening to a helicopter that has been circling the block for the past 45 min. or so.  I had heard sirens right before that so I'm assuming they're looking for a fugitive? or just having fun wasting tax payer money.


5 hours later: 

That darn helicopter kept circling for about 2.5 hours. Never did find out what was going on...maybe it will be on the news.  It's now 10:21 pm. I just finished eating my tostadas w/ refried bean and avocados. Yum! I have towels in the dryer and some pumpkin bars cooling. Sitting here watching the latest episode of "Castle"...gotta love that show! :)

So I had an interview today @ the language college in Torrance.  As I was driving over, I realized that the gas light was on, but I was already on the freeway so I decided to just gas up when I got there. I got there about 30 min early so I drove around trying to find a gas station, but there weren't any in sight and my GPS wasn't working, so I was a little grouchy by the time I got back to the college for the interview.  So the interview SEEMED to go really, really well. If i were to get the job, I would be teaching three different classes: Conversation Skills, Reading, and Grammer/writing. The school has 5 different language levels and I think i would be teaching Level 2, 4, and 5.

I think I got along pretty well with the director. We sat there and chatted for a bit, I wasn't nervous at all, and I think I was pretty confident. The atmosphere seemed pretty laid back and relaxed. The school is actually located in an office building so it doesn't really look like a school. And it seems really small. The class sizes would be probably a min. of four and a max of 12. So it's sounds like a really, really great opportunity! She was interviewing one other person and said that she would let me know right away. She said perhaps even by the end of the day, but never heard from her. I think she will let me know either way, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Classes start on Wednesday morning, so if I DO get this job, then it will be a stressful couple days.

Sooooo...I've spent  the afternoon/evening waiting anxiously to hear something.....I hate waiting!!!!
Wow, I just had a moment of dejavu. I was thinking about the warehouse/business area that I was in for the interview today and it seemed familiar for a moment...like out of a dream that I had a few years ago. Weird!

Anyways, in other news. Here's what I did this past weekend:

Saturday:  

I skyped with Mom, Dad, and Jennica in the morning! :) 
Leonard came over to hang out for a bit...he rode over to the library with us in Rolling Hills Estates. (We had to take some library books back.)
We checked out the gift shop that they have there. They had some cute owl stuff!
I love these earrings!!!
When leaving the library, Diego headed the wrong way and we ran across this amazing view!


The pictures really don't do it justice! There was this really heavy mist and the mountains across the water looked like they were rising above the clouds...it was really beautiful!

It's difficult to see in this pictures, but there were a bunch of ships floating out in the watery mist.

Leonard showing off his purchase from the gift shop!

Me & Diego
We finally found our way back to San Pedro, just in time to meet up w/ D's family @ the Port O'calls Village @ an outdoor seafood restaurant. D's dad bought 7 pounds of shrimp!!! Now that's a lot of seafood! hehe

Just getting to the pier...they had already ordered the food!

Round 1!


The restaurant is right on the water! Super nice...

Next, are the drinks! A couple large pitchers of pop!

And here come the four huge boxes of shrimp w/ garlic bread!


Getting ready to chow down!

We sighted this adorable sea lion on one of the docks!

The mariachi band was going around from table to table...


At this point, everyone had their bellies full of seafood...well, except for me. I'm not a fan of shrimp, so I ate some garlic bread instead...


D's mom picking out the remaining shrimp...I think they had one large box left to take home...

Larry bought me a choc. covered strawberry!

A couple gigantic cruise ships drove past as we were sitting there...

There are quite a few cruise companies that are located in San Pedro so these are a common sight.

Although, I'd never seen one this close up before...


Me clutching my strawberry and gazing @ the monstrosity! haha As it was going past, all I could think of was the Titantic and how it sank. haha. I'm not a fan of cruise ships. D's Mom was saying that there is a cruise that goes from San pedro to Colima, Mexico ( her hometown). If I were to go on a vacation, I think I'd rather spend my time @ an actual location instead of being trapped on a huge boat. But that's just me....

D's parents were in a hurry to get back home, so they didn't stop by our apartment. But D's siblings came over for a bit.
It's not a big space, but we all fit in...
But then, not everyone was there...we were missing about 7 people..haha.
I was almost embarrassed to offer them the cupcakes I'd made because they looked so messy. I used the cream cheese frosting that I had leftover from the mango cake I'd made earlier in the week.  I tried to pipe it onto the cupcakes, but it was waaaay too runny, so ended up just spooning it on and adding some sprinkles. They didn't look the prettiest, but I always enjoy that chocolate cake recipe! They seemed to like them, so that's good. :)

Later on, we decided to go see a movie. We ended up going to see "Moneyball" , which I really enjoyed. It was a bit slow and boring in parts, but hey it's BASEBALL..a sport that, in my opinion, can be very long and tedious at times. :P But I think everyone enjoyed it. I was glad that we went. The story line was mainly about baseball, but also included some other topics...I think it was a great mix. I would give it a 7.5 out of 10. Here are a couple pics:
Waiting in line @ the theater...
People that went:  me, Diego, Larry, Alicia, Chicho, and Crystal
Well, I think that's all I'm going to share for tonight. I'll write some more tomorrow! I'll end with a couple more pictures...

All the yummy cupcakes before they were frosted...

I tried to add mango, but it didn't mix well with the cream cheese....

Oh, and this is a photo from today:

I got a surprise package in the mail today from Mom and Dad! And this is what was in it!!! Yay!!! I finally have some cooking utensils! And they are soooooo nice! I love, love, LOVE them! Mom bought pink for the fight against breast cancer! It's a pale pretty pink--gorgeous! And it's such high quality! I have never, ever had such a nice can opener! Yes, I am actually excited about a can opener! It's just that I have this thing--I always get crappy can openers. I started out buying the cheap ones and then moved on to the ones that were a little more expensive (i.e. $7) but they always end up being crappy. They don't work and it takes me forever to open those stupid cans and I usually end up with some sort of cut or scratch by the time I'm finished.  I could never bring myself to spend the money on a NICE one, but here it is! I used it tonight and it worked like a charm! It's amazing!!! ;) I LOVE it! Thanks Mom & Dad!!!!!!!

Well, that's it for now. I'm gonna hit the hay. Nighty night all!!!!

4 comments:

Jennica said...

Wow, that's a lot of shrimp!

Those cupcakes look scrumptious.

Did everyone like your apt?

Jennica said...

And YAY for surprise pacakges/cooking utensils!

Adina said...

I learned the hard way that a quality can opener is worth it, too.

The shrimp looks delicious!

Mz.kYLee said...

Yeah, it was a TON of shrimp!!!!

I think they liked the apartment. Larry said that it looks bigger every time he comes over. haha