Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Road Trip to Cali: Day 1

Well, we're in Mansfield, Missouri staying @ this cute little B&B. It's an old building that's over 100 yrs. old. It used to be a flower shop/apartments, but the new owner bought it and converted it into a B&B/coffee shop/bakery. It's adorable! this is a shot from the outside when we pulled up:
We rolled into town @ about 9:45 or so. Most everything in the town had closed @ 9pm, so we didn't really have anywhere to go for dinner. Ended up getting pizza from the convenience store down the street. Yum yum :P

So yeah, it's been quite a day. This morning was extremely emotional and it was really difficult to leave. Aunt Mary, Aunt Kris, and Courtney stopped by to say goodbye. And of course Mom and Dad were there. It was a crazy, hectic morning. I cried so much that I didn't think I would have any tears left. :( And I think I hugged everyone @ least four times apiece. haha.





So yesterday/Last night was insanely crazy also. We ended up going out to the shop to print off directions/confirmation numbers/info bc our printer at home was out of ink. We were all so exhausted. I think I went to bed @ around 2pm and got up this morning @ 7:30ish. I've been sooo exhausted all day long.

Anyways, so yeah. We drove through Illinois and it was fairly uneventful. I drove for the first few hours and then Jennica took over when we stopped for gas. We had intended to stop @ this park in East St. Louis, IL--right before crossing into St. Louis bc their is supposedly the best view of the arch. However, we missed our exit, not once, but twice. haha So we ended up down @ the riverfront. We were tired and hungry so we stopped and looked around. Ended up hanging out by the river, walking around this cute historic section--Laklaed's landing, and then walked over to the Arch. We didn't ride up to the top, but we did go inside (at the bottom) and look @ the museum and gift shop. We were absolutely drenched in sweat by the time we got back to our car because it was so sooo humid! We ended up just eating our lunch in the car with teh AC going. haha.

Headed towards Mansfield, which was a 3.5 hr drive west of St. Louis. We ended up stopping in Fanning, MO to see the world's largest rocking chair. Ended up meeting a family from Indiana. They were friendly and we chatted for a bit. They were driving the entire Route 66. It would be funny if we see them again. haha. anyways, so then we drove to Mansfield and here we are. Tomorrow is going to be an extremely long day, so I suppose I should get some sleep. I'll go ahead and upload some pictures from today. I have a few pictures from over the weekend, but I think I'll add those later because I'm so stinkin' tired.

Fanning, Missouri: A tourist attraction in the midst of the boonies..haha. It was cute though!
Well, that's it for now. Night all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going well so far! Have a wonderful, safe, fun, interesting, trip! I'm so glad you two are able to enjoy the time together. - Kara

Anonymous said...

Those country roads are just what you guys like! Looks like a good road to go down. Mom

Roxanna P said...

Enjoy seeing these pictures... That B&B sounds really nice. Can't wait to see more. I like how you have the trip mapped out. Saw that picture on FB. Safe travels :)