Friday, July 22, 2011

Road Trip to Cali: Day 2


I know I'm a day behind, but yesterday was a loooong day. Plus we didn't have wifi access. Before I talk about Day 2, I'll briefly talk about something that happened today.

We're spending the night in Taos, NM. It's been an interesting evening. Someone attempted to break into my car twice. Yes, not once, but twice. We got to our hotel @ sunset and ran up to the room to unload some things. Headed downstairs about 15 min. later and when we got to the car we noticed that the two windows were down about an inch. We thought it was weird, but figured that we had accidentally pushed the button, although that would be an odd coincidence. Then when we were pulling out of the parking lot, we noticed that the sunroof was opened a bit. We NEVER open it and the button is way @ the top, so we couldn't have bumped it. So we were a little weirded out. We grabbed some dinner and took it back to the room. Called my parents and Diego and asked them if it's possible to open a car like that. I kept checking the window, watching my car and we had pretty much decided to go somewhere else. I happened to look out the door again and saw this guy walk up to it and was messing with the back door. I didn't know what to do. I grabbed my cell phone and tried to dial 911 but my phone was being weird so ran to the front desk. Jennica had been on the phone and she saw me running out the door. She shouted "hey" really loudly and i guess he hung around for a min. or so but then walked away. I ran out there with the security guard and then the cops showed up. They dusted for prints (there was one on the trunk) but it was smudged. We ended up leaving and coming to a B&B.

We'd has such a great day! It's too bad this had to happen. I'm just thankful that nothing was taken or broken and that no one was harmed or anything. I have to admit that I'm a little shaken up about it. I mean, come on, I'm from small town rensl and I'm not used to a lot of crime. It's especially creepy knowing that he was probably spying on us. I'm pretty sure that he must be staying @ the hotel or something. The crazy thing was that all of this happened between 9 and 10ish and that my car was parked in a well lit public area both times. Creepy.I wish we would have stayed calm and just called the front desk asap but I have never watched someone try to break into my car before. lol. I was  a little shaken up, Ah well....It's super creepy because he had to have been watching us. I feel a little jumpy now. Now I'm worried about all the other stops we'll b e making in the next four days. I need to get a car alarm ASAP! I'd already been thinking about; in fact, I don't know why it doesn't already have one, but now I'm definitely going to get one! I also wish that i could get a darker tint on the back windows.

Anyways,so we didn't have wifi in our hotel room last night so I was unable to post. Plus, we didn't get into our room until like 2:30 am.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 Day 2:

So we spent Tuesday night @ a B&B In Mansfield, MO called Weaver Inn. It was great! The bed was soft made for a very relaxing sleep! We had a nice breakfast in the morning. The girl that was working there in the am was actually pentecostal and she was extremely friendly. We chatted for a bit and she gave us some details about the B&B.
The bank across from the inn. It's one of the oldest buildings in town.
Such a nice place! It's an older building--over 100 yrs. old I think and was newly renovated.
The outside patio area @ the inn. We took these stairs up to our room.

Our purpose for visiting Mansfield was to visit Laura Ingalls Wilder's home. She is the author of the Little House on the Prairie books. We drove out to the cemetery and viewed Laura, Rose, and  Almonzo's gravesites. Then we drove out to the Wilder homestead and went through the museum and toured the house. I LOVEd the house! The layout was great ! There was a cozy little library, a nice fireplace, great view from the windows, the cutest little ladder staircase, and an open, yet cozy concept.  Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take pictures inside of the house. :(



From there, we headed to Joplin, MO. We went to this cute little waterfall called Grand Falls. It took us awhile to find it because it was out in the boonies, so we got lost a few times. However, we finally found it! There were a bunch of people swimming and some of the kids actually jumped down the falls. (It's not that high) It looks soooo refreshing! After that we headed to Oklahoma.
View from this park we stopped @ while looking for the falls. The river was really pretty!
The falls...a cute lilttle place!


We stopped in Miami, OK--right across the border from MO. It was a cute little town and a part of Route 66. We randomly stopped @ a Pizza Hut because we were starving and it ended up being this cute little diner! It was all decked out in the diner theme! With neon lights, diner decor, this really cool car bench thingy. Very nice!

Downtown Miami, OK


Our next stop was Oklahoma City and we were literally racing to get to the Oklahoma City Memorial before dark so that we could get some decent photos. We ended up getting there @ the perfect time! And i do mean perfect. It was like we had planned it! It was great! I absolutely LOVED the memorial! It was gorgeous and so meaningful and serene.  There were two large walls with a large reflection pond in between. One on end it said the time 9:01 and on the other 9:03. I found out that the significance of this is that the bombing actually happened @ 9:02 and the monument shows how life changed in that one moment. The pond represents the time and space between the 'before' and the 'after'. A small portion of the original building was still intact and the survivors of the bombing were listed on that wall. Then of course there were the lighted chairs representing all of the people who lost their lives on that day. Everything was very meaningful and had significance...I won't go into all the details, but it was amazing. It was a very serene and peaceful place.
We had a four hour drive from Oklahoma City to Amarillo, TX. We honestly didn't know if we were going to make it because it was so late and we were so tired. We considered pulling off and getting a room somewhere else, but we eventually made it. I think we got to our hotel @ The Big Texan, at like 2:30-2:45 am. It definitely wasn't the cleanest hotel ever. If you ever visit the Big Texan be sure to sleep somewhere else and just visit the restaurant/view the motel. They have a big bowl shaped like the state of Texas and everything is Texan themed.  Here are a few pictures:


Well, I have a lot more to write but I'll have to write more about today's events in the morning. I'm so tired and I need to get to sleep. Night all!

No comments: