Saturday, July 14, 2012

Yogurt shop!

Well, I never did get in the pool yesterday.  Was too busy with other things. Ah well, maybe I'll jump in today! Not too much going on around here today.  Dad and Diego went down to Indy to pick up a walk-in cooler that we purchased for the business.  D found it on ebay.  We're buying it from some ice cream shop in Indy that closed down.  Went down there on Monday to check it out.  They had  a bunch of different things for sale, but we weren't interested in a lot of it. I think we're buying the cooler, a washer/dryer combo, and a mixer.

As for the business, since we have now secured the location, I guess I can tell you what it is! (Just in case you didn't get my email on Facebook! haha)  We're opening up a self-serve frozen yogurt shop in Laffy.  It was going to be called Sweetberry, but we were having an identity crisis which led to a name change and, well, here we are! I'm super excited about the business and I"m REALLY excited about the name! I had never even heard of self-serve yogurt until I went out to Cali.  D's family took me to Yogurtland and I guess you could say it changed my life ;) haha I absolutely fell in love w/ the concept of self-serve yogurt and became a bit obsessed with it! hehe

 D and I have been EXTREMELY interested in starting up a shop ever since and have been trying to convince my dad to open one since last year. He would nod and say that yeah it sounded great, but he didn't want to run it.  This past spring things got a little tough, D quit his job due to differences with management, he was pretty burnt out w/ the maintenance world, I was only working PT and wasn't finding any FT teaching jobs, we had to move in w/ his sister for a couple months, the Boys town job that we thought we pretty much had kept not working out even though they kept telling us that they loved us....Things just weren't really coming together for us out in Cali.  We were back in Indiana for a visit and had just gotten the news that  Boystown might be interested in us again, when somehow we started contemplated the idea of starting a shop here.  I was kind of surprised that D would be open to it because we had pretty much agreed that we should be in Cali for the next couple years. However, we KNOW that self serve can be a great business to be in and we're both business minded.

Both of us come from entrepreneur backgrounds.  Sometimes I think it's a blessing and sometimes it's a curse. Neither of us is happy working for other people, we want to have something to call our own. We want to be our own boss and have our own business.  My parents have been entrepreneurs for YEARS.  They started their towing/tire/auto repair business way back when I was young. I think I was in 1st grade maybe?  I've seen the good and the bad of owning your own business. It's a LOT of hard work, time, risk, and stress. However, all that hard work can pay off in the end and you can actually own/operate something of your OWN.  D's dad is an entrepreneur too.  He used to do construction, odd jobs, etc. and then started his own produce business.  D grew up surrounded by this same mindset.  We have both always had goals to start our own businesses. He always talked about a produce business or taco stand.  I've talked about numerous businesses-- bakery, restaurant, B&B, coffee shop, etc. So here we are-- we have the opportunity to embark on a new journey! I am excited beyond belief and so grateful to be blessed with this opportunity! I am also extremely stressed and anxious! There's a lot of risk involved, I mean who eats frozen yogurt in the winter right? It's a lot of stress, a lot of work. We are living and breathing this business right now.  My head begins to spin when I think of all the things we have to accomplish in the next 6 weeks. haha! But I am motivated beyond belief, I become giddy just thinking about this business. I am learning new things every day. I know this is going to be a great learning experience and  I know all the hard work will pay off in the end.  I just pray that God will bless our business and help it to do well.

Well, I think that's all for now.  I didn't realize that I was going to write so much about yogurt! I just glanced out the window, and it looks kind of rainy out.  :(  So I  highly doubt that I'll be swimming today.  Ah well, maybe tomorrow. :)

Happy Saturday, everyone! Thanks for reading! :)

1 comment:

Roxanna P said...

Hey it is Roxy :) Just reading some of your blog posts because I am so behind in reading peoples blogs and blogging myself. A frozen yogurt place just opened up around the corner from my apartment on July 2nd. I visited them last night. It was good and really unique inside. They are called Kocanut Joes Frozen Yogurt. Their decor is beachy and their mascot is a monkey. So with your name, I think people will like the uniqueness of a walrus. Starting on August 1st, they are having breakfast from 6 to 10:30. They are having coffee, tea, and juices and some grab and go breakfast stuff. Just an idea to throw out there for your winter months. Best Wishes in this endeavor!