Tuesday, September 6, 2011

3 Day Weekend...

I'm watching CNN and they're talking about this group of white teenagers down south who just randomly attacked and killed this black man. I'm so disturbed. I can't understand the hatred. How can you hate someone due to the color of their skin. They didn't even know this guy. They were just looking for the first black person that they ran across. They beat him up and then they ran him over. People can be so cold and heartless....*shudder*

So the holiday weekend was kind f a bust. We didn't do anything fun and exciting! I soooo wanted to go to the fair, but no one else did. :(  Everyone was saying that it's too expensive. There was a special for the holiday weekend: admission was only $1 between 10am and 1pm. But then i think parking is like $20.  Plus, no one wanted to go during the day, they said it's more fun @ night. I personally didn't mind, but of course I was out voted and Diego was only interested in going if everyone else was. :(  Ah well...it lasts for a month so maybe I'll eventually get to go.

D's siblings were supposed to drive up to Lake Isabella to go jet skiing and boating, but id didn't work out. Jacob's friend, who owns the jet skis, said that they wouldn't start and needed some work. Everyone was trying to figure out something to do, somewhere to go, but of course it never happened. They're a very indecsive/unorganized bunch. lol. Of course, when you're dealing with that many people it can be difficult. Honestly, in this case, it's pure pandemonium. It often pushes me to the brink of insanity. ;) I like things organized. haha.

So yeah, we just ended up hanging around D's fam's house on both Saturday and Sunday.  Didn't do a whole lot. Just hung out. On Saturday, D and I went to the library in Palos Verdes because he wanted to go find some books on electrical/electronics. They had a huge baking/cooking section, so I picked up a few books too! ;)

Saturday's breakfast that I made...


Book sale in the parking garage
Entrance to library
I'm thinking about volunteering in this program....
These really cool paper mache hot air balloons...
All the cook books!
Diego looking for his books....

When we got to D's house, I ended up helping his mom with these little plants ( I can't remember their name). anyways, we had to pick all the seeds out of them and she was going to use them to make some sort of salsa. Such mindless work...augh! I don't have the patience for things like that! haha
The girls working hard...the guys...well, that's a different story :P haha
Watching some football as we work...
Lots of seeds!

The Notre Dame game was on and as we were watching they canceled the game and were having everyone clear off of the field. People just don't get it out here--they don't have to deal with any bad weather, so they don't realize how weather kind of rules your life. haha. I'm actually kind of missing Indiana weather. It hasn't rained out here even once since I've been here! I miss a good thunderstorm! Also, I miss the changing seasons. I talked to Mom today and she said that it's starting to feel like fall and that my dad was actually wearing a jacket today! It's felt slightly cooler here, kind of fall-esque, but definitely not the same. :(

Someone let Bigshow in the house!
He's so gigantic! But he's a big softy! :)

Some of the girls got hungry for birthday cake....
It wasn't anyone's bday, but Alicia, Crystal, and I went and got a Baskin Robbins cake....
Pistachio flavored!
Yuuuuuuuuuuuum! I had never had a cake like this before. It had ice cream AND cake!
Crystal trying to cut the cake ( it was super frozen)


So that was our Saturday....they made tuna salad for dinner. Since I don't like tuna, D and I went to Pollo Locco and I got a tostada salad! yuuuum! Some of the guys watched a stupid movie and we girls went and got that ice cream cake. And that's about it...haha. I'm noticing that everything revolves around food! lol.

On Sunday, D and I tried a new church: Calvary Chapel Southbay. It's located in Torrance which is only like 10 or 15 minutes away from us.  The pastor was out of town, but the visiting minister had some good thigns to say. He had a very unique view on the concept of repentance (it's changing your mind.) He made it sound so simple and related it to all aspects of life.  I liked his approach.  I definitely liked this church better than the last couple we've visited. Here's what the sanctuary looked like:

After church,we drove over to D's house.  Larry was hungry for something sweet and asked me to bake something. I decided to make a chocolate cake with cool whip and strawberries. So D, Jessie, and I headed to the store to buy ingredients. Their mom rarely bakes so they didn't have ANYTHING. We had to buy every single one of the ingredients.  (Well, larry paid for them). On our way to the store, we stopped by this place to pick up some calzones that Jessie kept raving about.  So I guess this guy used to work @ a pizza place and then he's started his own little pizza business from his home. You can call and order pizza/calzones and it will be ready in like 15 minutes. It's just some random house on a street. There is no advertising (it's not an official busines) but everyone knows about it. Their regular sized calzones are only $3 and the large ones are $5. The regular sized ones were pretty huge and tasted delicious! And for only $3--can't beat that! :)
Jessie with his calzone
He and D took it in to the grocery store. and were eating it as we shopped..haha. It was a ghetto store though, so no one really cared...

D eating ceviche, one of his favorite foods. It's made with shrimp...uck!

So we got back from the store and i started mixing up my cake. I made one large cake ( 2 batches) and then one batch with splenda. Diego, his dad, larry, jacob and berenice, and jessie went to some mexican movie that D's dad wanted to see. I guess it was kinda lame and crappy, so I'm glad I didn't go. I stayed @ the house and worked on the cakes. Alicia, chicho, and crystal stayed @ the house too. We talked, played some scrabble, and ordered some pizza.
Getting ready to play some scrabble...


The cake made with splenda....it was kinda dryish...I think I slightly overbaked it...

The cake with regular sugar....it looks really messy. I frosted it while it was warm, so the cool whip was melting....

So yeah, as soon as they got home from the movie everyone gathered around the cake.  It wasn't cooled yet, but i went ahead and frosted it because I thought they might attack it. haha. As a result, it was a very messy looking cake! The cool whip was melting and it made the fruit slide off. It looked HORRIBLE! but I think it tasted ok.

Me with my new shirt and headband...kind of a bad pic, but the only one i have..

Waiting for D. He ran into some ghetto store to get a phone charger for $5.

Holding my tostada salad! yum!

Big Show sitting by the door with his food bowl...

awwwww....


So yeah, that was my weekend. I suppose I should get busy. I  need to go to the gym or on a hike. Not sure which. Happy Tuesday!


2 comments:

Jennica said...

Sounds like a pretty fun weekend! I think I'm missing you and Cali. :(

Mz.kYLee said...

Miss you too :( You should come out and visit over Fall break! ;)