Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fair time!!

It's Tuesday already! I swear the weeks fly by for me. It will be the weekend before you know it. I'm sure that will probably change when I get a job. haha. And actually it's weird because time does seem to be flying by, but the days can kind of drag as well. I definitely feel like I'm wasting time right now.  I try to stay busy, but I feel like my life is passing by right before my eyes and I'm not accomplishing anything worthwhile. Maybe that will change once I find a job.

I'm still waiting for my Indiana teaching license and I'm getting quite frustrated. I was warned that it might take awhile due to all the applications, awhile being like a month. But I sent in my application on August 7th! That's forever ago! I emailed them and they said that they'd turned my app into Purdue to have it approved, so at least it's nearing the end of the journey. haha. Hopefully it will be finished here in a week or two. After that I have to begin the process of applying for my California teaching license! Augh! It never ends! I can't wait to get my license because I'm sure it will help me be more hire-worthy. hehe.

I have seen a bunch of jobs posted for instructional aids, etc. So hopefully today and tomorrow I will be working on those apps. I have an interview tomorrow about a temporary tutoring position for Sylvan. It would begin in mid-October.  I don't know how I feel about that. I don't know that I want to commit to something like that because what if I would get a job before then? But if I don't have a job, it would definitely be a good way to get some additional income. I think it would only last for a few weeks though. But at least it's something, right?

Anyways, let's see...what has been going on the past few days....

On Friday, I decided to try a new recipe that I found for Coconut Lemon Bars. Now I'm not a big fan of lemon, but they looked all pretty and citrus-y in the photo so I decided to make them anyhow. I ended up really liking the crust on the bottom, but wasn't a big fan of the lemon part. It was a little too tangy for me! But if you like lemon, I'm sure you'll probably like this recipe! You can find the recipe here on mybakingaddiction's blog. I just recently found out about this blog and I'm loving it so far! I highly recommend it!

So here are a few pictures from the baking process:

The crust portion...yummy!
I needed 1/2 cup lemon juice for the lemon filling
It took a lot of lemons!!!
Getting ready to stick the bars in the oven
Just coming out of the oven....
We splurged and ordered a late night snack bc we were starving! I hadn't had Papa Johns in forever! So we ate this while the bars were cooling!
The finished product!
Sending some to D's coworker Martha.

So I was really wanting to go to this free origami class @ the local library on Saturday morning, but I didn't make it.  :(  D's mom had called the night before to ask if we would bring her Costco card back ( we'd borrowed it about a month ago) by 10 am  because she and a friend were supposed to go shopping. To make a long story short, I didn't get to go and I pretty disappointed. I think they'll be offering a class sometime next month, so I'm determined to go to that one! Even if I have to go by myself!

We ended up spending the whole Saturday over there @ D's family's house. Here are a few pictures:

This is the tamale lady. She walks around the neighborhood selling homemade tamales for $1. She also had some warm corn drink that we got. It was kind of like a weak tasting hot chocolate. Very different, but it was good.

These delicious strawberry coconut marshmallow tasting Mexican candies. SOOO good! My new addiction! I'm not even a huge fan of marshmallows, but these things are delicious!!!  Joel had a bunch of them in his room and Diego grabbed some. haha.

Jessie bought one of these from the liquor store down the street. (That's where they run for all their last minute items. Forgot sugar? Run to the liquor store. Need some pop? Run to the liquor store. haha. Want some candy? Run to the liquor store. Anyways, he couldn't believe I'd never heard of these, so he went back and got me one!
It's basically an ice cream sandwich made with two oatmeal cookies and dipped in chocolate. Pretty tasty!

I was bored so I helped D's mom juice some carrots. She's a juicing fanatic! I'm not the biggest fan....I like fruit juice, but not veggie juice! She's always trying to get me to drink her different juices. I have tasted them, but just don't like to drink my veggies. I'd rather eat them whole!
Diego with a mixture of carrot juice and fresh squeezed orange juice. It was tolerable. I really liked the fresh oj all by itself!
Looking @ Alicia's car. she was having some trouble with it.
Queso cheese.
Tortillas burning on the stove...haha Someone forgot to flip them...
A weird combination of chicken, cactus, and queso. I wasn't the biggest fan...
Old pics of D's mom and the kids...
So eventually we decided to to go the fair! There's only a week left and larry and I had both been wanting to go! I don't know that anyone else did, but hey it ended up being fun!  It was rumored that parking was $20 per vehicle, so we decided to take Berenice and Jacob's SUV. We squeezed in 7 people ( D and Jessie were in the back) so it was only about $2 per person. It ended up being $10 for general parking, $15 for preferred and $20 for VIP. Since VIP was full, we went with preferred. And actually, we didn't have to walk very far at all. General parking was a LONG ways away, so I'm glad we didn't go with that. They did have little trolleys shuttling people back and forth, but it was packed and there were super long waits.

Waiting in line @ Ralphs (Kroger) to get our $10 tickets. (They were originally $17)
I thought this was cute!


I took a TON of photos @ the fair. Probably about 150 or so, but I'll just post some key highlights here. I did add them all on my facebook if you want to check them out.

Alicia, Larry, Berenice, Jacob, Jessie, and Diego


D and me near the entrance

chowing down on the chili cheese fries that Jacob bought..

Map of the fair

haha I thought this was funny. It really worked! It definitely caught my attention

Free water! And it tasted sooo good!

I guess Diego really wanted Berenice's turkey leg haha

Gigantic hotdog that we got...

Some really cute parrots!

haha

Looking @ the farm animals

Alicia and Berenice

They had these foot massagers ALL over...and were super nice! They really re-energized your feet!

Diego in the count dracula chair!

The shark Encounter

A gigantic steer

Huge horse-- he was 6'6" tall!


We went back to see the steer a second time because we heard he was standing up. He was SCARY! He kind of min charged @ Diego who was just standing there innocently. He was very intimidating.

But Larry wasn't scared! hehe ;)

awwww

Checking out the sky ride tickets...

Larry and Alicia in front of the 9/11 Twin Towers Memorial

Alicia, me, and Berenice

Berenice & Jacob

Diego and me


haha i thought these were cute

Alicia @ the Rose Gardens
A close up of the chili cheese fries...
Fried Snickers, cheesecake, and twinkies! I thought the cheesecake sounded good!
A cute little lemon shakeup stand
Berenice and Jessie trying to get Jacob to eat some funnel cake
haha
Yeah, so it was fun. I was disappointed though because we missed the lumberjack show. ( I was really wanting to see it) and also they didn't have any elephant ears!!! How can a fair not have elephant ears!!!??? That's just unheard of! (At least in the Midwest). I was really craving one, so was a bit disappointed. But I got a root beer float instead.

Well, I have more to write, but this entry is long enough already. I'll write more later! Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments: