Friday, January 13, 2012

My first week...

I survived my first week @ my new job! Yay! I must say that after three days of teaching my PART TIME class, I am exhausted! haha I think it's because I haven't really had much time to prepare.  I taught my first class on Wednesday and I think it went pretty well.  I didn't get to pick up my books until late afternoon on Tuesday, so I really didn't have much time to prepare for my first class. I've fallen into a routine of working on my lesson for a couple hours @ night and then finishing it up between 9am and noon on the day of class. I do NOT want to continue this routine. I hope to get up to date this weekend, so that I have my lessons planned for the next week! I am definitely earning my money. And I don't even get paid for any prep time. That sucks! But I'm really enjoying my job and it's been a great experience so far.

These are my teaching materials stacked on top of my car outside the building where I teach...

I'm teaching a really small class--only four students.  One of the students hasn't been to class at all this week, I think she may have a family emergency or something.  I have two students from Japan and one student from Brazil. I don't have much access to technology.  I've been taking my laptop and have wifi access, but don't have a projector so can't really make any powerpoint presentations. I have a marker board and that's about it. So this is definitely giving me another perspective on teaching. Plus, it's different teaching to such a small audience.I had a really small class today--only one student! Another kind of intimidating thing is that there is a video camera in the classroom and the manager told me that there's a chance that my director could be watching me. Kind of creepy! I've just been trying to pretend that it's not there. haha.

 Other than teaching/preparing, I haven't really accomplished a whole lot this week.  I worked out on my stepper on Monday and Wednesday and was SO sore! A great workout! Haven't had time to use it the past few days though.


On Wednesday evening, D and I hung out with Larry and Alicia. We went to Costco, ate at some taco place, and picked up D's truck which was @ Larry's house.
Venus Fly Trap
a little bonsai Juniper tree..
The taco place that we went to for dinner. Supposedly has the best fish tacos. I got a burrito. It was ok. They put some sauce in it that i didn't like, but the price was super cheap!
What we bought at Costco:  danish (smelled divine!) and pizza. We were STARVING when we went shopping. When we walked out of the restaurant and looked @ what we had bought it looked disgusting. haha :P The pizza was ok and the danish was super good!

On Thursday, D and I  had a two hour phone interview with a representative from Boy's Town.  We are applying for a Family teaching Couple position about an hour south of here. The next step would be an in-person interview. They're supposed to let us know in 3-5 days.

Well, that's about it for now.  I spent the evening working on laundry and cleaning up the apartment.  D cooked some smelly fish soup and smelled the apartment up. Yuck!
D with his fish/noodle soup

I still need add the photos from the last few days of my family visiting...will try to do that sometime this weekend. It's a three day weekend because of MLK Jr. Day! Yay!

Okay, well goodnight!

3 comments:

Adina said...

Your job sounds really cool!

Courtney said...

Ahhh----the joys of teaching! Yeah, the prep time is the killer; and no, there is no pay for that! Bummer, huh? I figured it up one time and when I counted prep time plus class time, I wasn't even making minimum wage! :-) Joy! :-) Hopefully, at least your students appreciate it! That opens another whole can of worms...when you spend all sorts of prep time and the students don't even want to learn! That is a whole new level of frustration! :-) Hope your second week goes even better than the first!

Roxanna P said...

Your job sounds like fun! :) Especially with such a small audience, I think I'd like that.

So, what does Diego currently do? Does he teach also?