Friday, November 11, 2011

11.11.11

It's Friday!!! No work today because it's Veteran's Day and the schools are closed! yay! Well, kind of yay I guess. The money for working today would definitely be nice, but oh well.  It's a dreary, rainy looking day. I think it's kind of chilly too. I turned off the AC and opened the windows.

So last night we went out to dinner with Joe and Silvia to celebrate Joe's 25th birthday! Joe wanted to go to Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ and it was an excellent choice! They had tons of yummy southern-style food and everything was delicious! I loved the food, the service, and the decor. I will definitely be taking M&D there when they visit. I think they would really like this place! It reminds me of this restaurant that we go to down in Florida...I can't remember the name of it at the moment. But it's the same concept...only the decor is better! hehe

Sorry the pictures are a little blurry...
I was using my phone's camera
We got there a bit early but we went ahead and put our name in
I loved the decor!
Joe and Silvia were stuck in traffic and we had about a 15 min. wait...
So we chillaxed in these nice retro looking chairs...
Where all the magic happens :P
Silvia got southern fried chicken and joe got blackened catfish...
Diego got some sort of meat platter and i got a pulled pork sandwich w/ cheesy grits...
Happy Birthday Joe!
I realized that I still haven't posted the pictures from last weekend, so get ready for some more photos!

So last Friday, we went to Jessie's last home game of the season. I think I posted some pictures of the game already. But I'll add the photos that i took AFTER the game. So it was raining and pretty yucky out by the time we left the game. We decided to head over to the Robles house to see what was going on.

So we sat down and ate some tamales. D's mom has been taking this baking class so she had made like seven different types of cakes, which she wanted us to try. My fave was the carrot cake! Rachel has been taking this jello cake class ( it's a Mexican dessert) and she's learning to make beautiful flowers like the ones above! Pretty impressive!

D's mom had made a BUNCH of tamales....I guess they make even more than this @ Christma
There were some with beans and cheese, some with cheese and peppers, and some with pineapple...delicious!
These are jello decorations that Rachel made......Aren't they gorgeous?

After leaving D's house, we decided to drive down town to check out the Occupy camp. As we were driving we noticed that one of the streets was closed because they were filming a movie. Maybe the new Batman? They've been filming it all over LA lately. Berenice saw them filming near a club downtown and then Larry saw them filming near the docks in San Pedro/Long Beach. We weren't able to see what was going on really, just snapped this shot while we were driving. You can see all the bright lights and people.....

We drove by the Walt Disney Concert Hall....

Such amazing architecture!

The Occupy movement camped out around city hall in downtown LA

We circled the block a couple times, but didn't get out...

 On Saturday, D's dad's work truck broke down about five hours north of LA. We considered riding up with Larry to take the part for the truck, but ended up just staying home. Everyone was busy so we decided to try Saturday church. WACC offers four different service times during the weekend. Saturday @ 5pm and  Sunday at 8 something, 9:30 and 11. We usually go to the Sunday service, but we really enjoyed this Saturday service. I almost enjoyed it more because I was actually fully awake. Sometimes I feel like I'm half asleep on Sunday mornings. haha. :P It was also kind of nice because it wasn't as crowded as it is on Sundays!



We went to Costco before church and stocked up on toilet paper, water, and a few other things.


We stopped to gas up the car and get some coffee...
This was an annoying intersection near the gas station that we were stuck @ forever!


We had been talking about the movie "V for Vendetta"  so we decided to go home and watch it. I love the movie, but D has always disliked it for some reason. Some people were using the mask for the occupy movement since it's centered around the day November 5, so it caught D's attention and I convinced him to give the movie a second chance. So we watched it and I think he may have slightly changed his mind about it. :P

It was weird, but kind of nice not having to get up early on Sunday morning. We didn't sleep in super late though. We had talked about driving up to Ventura, CA ( about 1.5 hours  north of LA) to get out of the city and explore a little bit, but that didn't happen. We went to get an oil change for my car and it ended up taking two hours or so.

Walmart wouldnt' work on our car since it's a BMW, so we went over to Sears Auto Center. There was a mall next door, so we hung out there for a couple hours.
Some paintings that we saw in the mall. We decided that we could do work like this....maybe we should try our hand at art! haha Seriously, I do like these, but I really do think that I could do something like this. ;)
Saw this list @ a volunteer stand in the mall. Made me think of Jennica.
We ate at Panera Bread. Only the third time I've ever eaten there. I wasn't overly impressed. The food was pretty good, but a little pricey for the amount that you get, in my opinion.
Then we walked over to Ikea. I LOVE that place! D found the puppets very entertaining...
He really wanted to get these two, but the lines were sooo long that we put them back...
Some cute cookie cutters
This super nice drying rack that I want!
An interesting decorative bowl that caught my attention...


AFter that, we drove around Torrance for a bit and then I think we headed home.  I can't really remember what else we did that night. I think we may have watched a movie or something. haha.

Well, that's it for this entry. I need to get busy! I have lots and lots of housework to do and I need to go to the gym today!!! Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment:

Jennica said...

Lots of good photos!