Friday, April 6, 2012

LA Science Center Excursion

I'm sitting here @ work, waiting for my students to finish taking their weekly test.  I'm anxious to get out of here because we have a TON to do today. Since I have some extra time, I thought I'd go ahead and write a blog entry. Here are the pictures from last weekend @ the Science Center.

We were bored and wanted to go somewhere so last Saturday we decided to visit the Science Center. Rachel and Edgar went along with us. There is no entry cost unless they have a special exhibit.

This is a cool little section of LA near USC. They actually have a bunch of different places to visit. I would definitely like to go back and visit some of the places like the African American Museum.

I've been seeing these flowers everywhere and I love them! They remind me of a bird!

Entering the museum. They had some jets hanging overhead. Pretty cool!

haha. Edgar and D listening to the tubes. You could hear different pitches of sound.

This was pretty cool. Could communicate by speaking through the two ends of the coil.

Edgar and D communicating through this cool contraption.

You could hear what the other person was saying...
I think this was one of my favorite sections! They had some space capsules from the 60's and 70's. Extremely interesting!

You could even see inside. It looked so tiny and cramped! I would never last in one of these! Can't imagine staying in this things for days on end.

Cockroaches...yuuuuuck!

A giant roach! Watch out Diego!

Looking @ the health exhibits

An exhibit showcasing hearts of different animals and they had a human heart also. Very interesting. That gigantic heart belongs to an elephant.

They had an exhibit with little chicks...

There was a really aggressive one that kept attacking the other chicks...

This little guy saw the flash of my camera and came up to investigate
hehe so cute! They looked adorable! They looked all fuzzy!


They had a section with an acquarium that was pretty interesting. See that big pump? It's actually producing waves in the tank of water...


Rachel and D staring into the tank...haha I think this is a funny picture.

starfish!


schools of fish! pretty cool!


A worker offered to take our picture!

I like this pic...the fish look pretty cool


Next we walked to a nearby rose garden, which was pretty cool! It was completely free. Tons and tons of roses! it was beautiful! haha D and his droopy eye...

Pretty! see the insect inside of the petals?

D trying to look all cool and sexy...haha :P

Pretty fountain


Eating my popsicle. Himaichi flavored. I know I didn't spell that right! But it's from a flower petal or something like that. they use it to make a Mexican drink also. It's kind of like tea or natural kool aid.


Well, that's all the pictures for now.  We had a really fun time @ the museum and it was free! Can't beat that! There are so many places to explore around LA. I don't even know where to begin! And it's difficult to get anyone else to go explore with me because they often think it's  boring. They're LA natives and aren't interesting in what they call the "touristy" stuff. I don't think it's touristy really. You can be from LA and still go to an LA museum. :P

Anyways, well, my last student just left. So I'm going to gather up my things and leave early. Happy Good Friday,everyone! :)

No comments: